03 November 2005

 

doing something new again

(just as an aside, lest the concept of my riding my bike to work inspires unnecessary awe: my home is about twenty blocks away from my new job. just down 148th. so no, Ben, I am not biking up and down Northup. :) )

and I gotta do something about my desk (which is really two small collapsible tables in an L configuration). the monitor is so big that it really only fits in the corner, but if I can't figure a way to get my elbows off the surface, I'm going to get serious carpal tunnel syndrome...

anyway, came in early today 'cause we lost our Internet connection at home. probably had something to do with the power going out in most of Bellevue yesterday. oddly enough, we never lost power at home, but...

I've been doing the alignment work at the office, and was getting into a good rhythm, when I got a new priority assignment yesterday. but no, not translation. :) you'd think they'd actually ask me to do what I am being paid to do... :)

I've been asked to edit old FrameMaker files to bring them up to date for a certain software tutorial. easy enough. haven't used FrameMaker in ages, but it's a bicycle skill: once you learn, you never forget.

as an aside, I'm loving the use of Trados so much that I bought a license for use at home. not sure whether it will benefit my translation work or not, but here's hoping...

what's more, freelance assignments are coming in thick and fast. I'm actually looking forward to getting away for Thanksgiving if only to get a break from the non-stop jobs. it's good to be busy, though.

fingers are crossed 'cause I was also asked to bid on an editing job for a translation of a book I am very much interested in on Buddhism. it's a massive work, though, and I am hoping the client will have a realistic schedule in mind. another advantage: payment in yen!

I'm feeling a little bad because one of my older agencies is hearing a lot of, I'm not available for work, out of me these days. as much as I like working with them, they pay the least, and the jobs are always small, and there's way too much back and forth on things with them. question after question, the answers to which are usually along the lines of: I chose that translation on purpose...

anyway, back to work.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?